CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Tornadoes in Atlanta

Tornadoes ripped through Atlanta friday night. The storm was incredible, it rained harder then I have ever experienced. 27 people were injured that night, but it is amazing that it wasn't more. The main damage was done literally 5 miles from my house. In fact, Cabbagetown had about 20 houses leveled and it is the neighborhood next to Decatur. Below is a picture of the Fulton Cotton Mill Lofts, right down the street from us. Friends of ours lived in these lofts a few years back. We drove by the damage today, debris was everywhere, and it had a HORRIBLE stench! A sewer main had to have broken, because it was pungent.

We had another tornado touch down in Atlanta this afternoon. Fortunately it didn't do the damage that friday night's tornado did, but the storms killed two people in further away counties. We are actually under a tornado watch until 1:00 am tomorrow morning!

4 comments:

Elizabeth Lloyd said...

Yikes! I was in Illinois when I heard about the tornando! I was worried about you guys! Glad you are a okay.

Lauren said...

Yeah, downtown is bad in spots but we got pretty lucky. I hope you guys are okay with all the flooding! I heard that Eureka might be evacuated!

Anonymous said...

Yeah it's the worst flood in Eureka's history. I can't believe how bad it actually is. It's worse than when we had the floods in '93 and they say we are going to get another 5 feet higher. I didn't even realize that parts of Eureka were going to be evacuated until Robbie called me Yesterday.

We went to my old high school and it will be completely flooded tomorrow. They sandbagged it, but I doubt the bags are high enough... The High School has never been flooded. It's crazy. So many houses are already filling with water and soon they will be completely under. We'll send you some pictures when we have a chance.

In order for me to get to work I have to make a 2 hour commute each way b/c of all the flooded roads (hwy's 109, 141, I-44, FF, W, and 30 are all under water in some parts). At least my boss let me work from home the last couple of days.

Lauren said...

That sucks!! I looked up some pictures that looks really awful. It looks like Valley Park got the worse of it though! Hope things get better for you guys soon!